   Re: [xml-dev] What is XML For?

On Monday 28 October 2002 11:09 pm, Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> Given that XML came pretty completely out of the SGML community, I don't
> think it's surprising that they felt SGML had a lot to offer.  There may
> be a few exceptions, but for the most part I think it's fair to say that
> these people were immersed in SGML.

Pah! One of my pet peeves, things that were designed by "Hmmm, we have a
hammer, what looks like a nail?" :-)

> Now if the ASN.1 community had had a similar idea... maybe they will
> yet.

It's been bandied about. I'm quite keen on defining a new notation for ASN.1
types that semantically the same as the existing one but:

1) Has an ASN.1 abstract syntax of its own, eg a data model beyond just
what's implicit in the BNF of the specification

And probably but not necessarily, since this may be satisfiable by just using
XER with (1):

2) Has a nice easy to parse syntax for people to read

And possibly:

3) Doesn't bother with supporting the syntax for deprecated types; I see
"keeping it simple" as more important than "allowing ancient specs to be
brought into it without updating them".

Oooh, I've just had a fun idea; SER, sexpr encoding rules, which fill a
similar niche to XER but are less Alaric-angering... that'd be a workable
solution for (2) in my book of nested parenthesis!

ABS

--
Oh, pilot of the storm who leaves no trace, Like thoughts inside a dream
Heed the path that led me to that place, Yellow desert screen