   RE: RE: [xml-dev] What is XML For?

>> Actually, Java serialisation HAS a powerful versioning capability.
>> It requires adding custom nontrivial code to the class, or at least
>> to the later versions of the class; but it can be done.

Well yes, but powerful versioning capability could be added to anything with
custom nontrivial code. JSX only requires one or two lines of trivial code.

>Larry Cable once apologised to me for 2 things in Java, while he
>was still at
>Sun: applets & Java serialisation.  He felt then that XML was a far better
>solution than Java serialisation.  Not that I've kept up with how Java
>serialisation has moved on since then (2000), but I wonder if it has really
>improved enough, particularly the fact that deserialisation was slower than
>parsing the equivalent XML.

The serialization certainly has moved on - I've not played with it myself,
but at least partial XML support has been added. I'm not sure that you could
say that it has improved enough for most purposes though.

I must admit that Applets can be rather embarrasing, something of a poor
man's Flash, and personally am hoping that non-proprietary pure XML
solutions such as SVG & XForms occupy this space sooner rather than later.

Cheers,
Danny.