   Re: [xml-dev] What is XML For?

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 08:49, tblanchard@mac.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, at 02:17  AM, Paul Prescod wrote:
> > Okay, fair enough with the appropriate CSV parser library, the CSV
> > state management is magically handled for you and with an XML parser,
> > all of the XML syntax is handled for you. Either way there is very
> > little difference in programmer effort.
>
> I'll disagree with *all* of the syntax being handled for you.  Markup
> is handled so-so on the sax parsers - but content is handled fairly
> stupidly - many many extra callbacks for little bits of text seems to
> be the rule - forcing the developer to do some relatively fancy text
> aggregation and some of his own event detection based on history.

I've yet to see an XML parser that'll properly parse XPath and URIs and so on
for me, too - with s-exprs people never really felt they had to break out of
the syntax so often. The one syntax was good enough, and kept the processing
simple. XML's multiple syntaxes and multiple data models are a bit of a pain
:-)

ABS

--
A city is like a large, complex, rabbit