   Re: [xml-dev] What is "semantic markup"?

In a message dated 30/10/2002 11:00:07 GMT Standard Time, vdv@dyomedea.com writes:

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 11:56, Daniel Dui wrote:

> So different consumers of a document can associate it with different
> semantics. This is sometime OK, but often not desirable and nothing can
> be done to ensure that they don't. Or can it?

I would even say that this is one of the main strengths of XML,
sometimes called "loose coupling" or "late binding" :) ...

Eric,

Viewed from another perspective it can be seen as one of XML's great weaknesses.

What I sometimes, irreverently, term Humpty Dumpty semantics! - "The semantics are what I say they are. No more and no less.".

Andrew Watt