   Re: [xml-dev] Relative URLs using the file scheme?

Michael Kay wrote,
> Saxon largely delegates its URI manipulation to the JDK, except for a
> few cases where the JDK doesn't offer the required functionality. If
> the JDK gets it wrong, I will need a lot of persuasion to implement
> workarounds at the Saxon level.

The relative URI resolution in java.net.URL is (or at least was the last
time I looked) horrendously broken. A few years back I tested it
against the resolution examples from the back of RFC 2396 and got
something like a 40% failure rate. Amusingly it agreed with one of the
published examples when it was actually a typo in the RFC.

I believe that the new java.net.URI in J2SE 1.4+ does the job properly,
tho' I've no idea whether or not that behaviour has been retrofitted to
java.net.URL (my guess is, quite possibly not).

Cheers,

Miles