   Re: [xml-dev] What is XML For?

On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, at 05:38  PM, Paul Prescod wrote:

> When people (like TBlanchard) say they want to send "smart objects"
> rather than "dumb data" this is precisely what they are proposing. Not
> "applets" but Java or Smalltalk objects. And it is because they don't
> understand the POLP.

POLP?  I'm not too good with alphabet soup so you'll have to spell it
out.

Its a misconception to say I want to "send" objects. Within my
enterprise, I want to use objects for my application architecture.
Much of what I object to is the use of XML as the *basis* for
applications.  I'm seeing propaganda that says you should keep all your
data in xml and render it to html via xslt.  I don't agree.  Objects
are a better fit for application development.  Even web apps.  The
scripting mentality has infected that domain in a big way.

If I'm interacting with people outside my sphere of influence, doing
data exchange, I want to send reasonably structured data files which
are serialized graphs (which realistically need be no more complicated
than PLists).

XML, IMNAAHO, has too many bells whistles, buzzers, and gadgets, for
the basic job of structured data exchange.  And they're heaping more
crap on it every day.  What practicing developer can possibly keep up
with this stuff?

Whats the payoff if one does?

Not too good I think.