   Re: [xml-dev] Article: "The horror of XML"

>I suspect this may be because a lot of people don't realize how
>broken the Infoset is. I didn't, until just a couple of weeks ago
>when John Cowan pointed out to me that there was nothing in the spec
>that in any way mandated well-formedness. I just sort of always
>assumed it was there somehow. I think a lot of other people may be in
>the same boat.

Just to be clear about this:

What the Infoset spec defines is the Infoset of a well-formed XML
document.  It ties all the items to the corresponding productions in
XML 1.0.

It also observes that Infosets may be created by other means, but it
doesn't really attempt to constrain them much.

-- Richard