   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View
  • From: "Anthony B. Coates" <abcoates@TheOffice.net>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 09:37:49 GMT

** Reply to message from Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> on Thu, 31 Oct 2002
20:45:30 -0800

> I see your point, but there are all these people out there who keep
> saying they want a way to give funny characters human-readable names and
> don't want to use elements because they think structure and content are
> different.  No matter how many times they are told that they shouldn't
> really need the names and that if they did they should use elements,
> they keep refusing to take our word for this, so we're gonna have to do
> something.  Sigh.

It's not that the world doesn't take your word for it.  It's just that (X)HTML
doesn't take your word for it.  If the W3C defined elements for characters for
HTML, so that character entities could and would be deprecated, everyone else
would follow suit.  However, if HTML doesn't do it, then it looks to the world
like the W3C doesn't think it is a particularly good idea.  What can I say?

	Cheers,
		Tony.
====
Anthony B. Coates, Information & Software Architect
mailto:abcoates@TheOffice.net
MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language)
http://www.mddl.org/