   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

At 09:22 AM 11/1/2002 +0000, David Carlisle wrote:

>Also XHTML is incompatible with the usual ISO definitions
>(asymp and circ for example) which causes some problems for MathML which
>tries to be in agreeement with both.

We were actually hoping for a uniform adoption of names for the XML
community, obviating the need for us to  do renaming for agreement with
other specs.

I have to agree with previous comments that while the position of the XML
Core WG may be technically feasible, it does nothing to address the needs
of the stated audience for named character entities. It's an unfortunate
trend to have a solution be aesthetically pleasing for the technologist,
resulting in a daily handicap for the user.

Ann