   Re: [xml-dev] Help with an XSD problem

In a message dated 01/11/2002 14:49:02 GMT Standard Time, helen.mauger@rawlinson-hunter.gg writes:

I have a stock element. This element has several child elements eg Currency, number and name. My problem is that I want (if possible to allow a choice re the type_of_stock. I want to limit it to either Equity or Bond - I have found two ways of doing this - either using enumeration or patterns. I have no preference as to which. However if they select BOND I want to force the user to input further elements eg the Interest_rate.

Helen,

The <xsd:choice> is worth looking at.

Something like,
<xsd:choice>
<xsd:element name="Equity" ... />
<xsd:sequence>
  <xsd:element name="Bond" ... />
  <xsd:element name="Interest_Rate"  .../>
  <!-- Whatever else you want to include with Bond -->
</xsd:sequence>
</xsd:choice>

Andrew Watt