   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

Tim Bray scripsit:

> Pick the English version.  Or the French.  Whichever.  I haven't heard a
> good argument against this yet, except for someone suggested the names
> aren't stable and change with Unicode revs... is this true? -Tim

No, no, the names are rock stable.  They *grow* with Unicode revs, of
course, as new characters are added.  (Of course, you were one of those
insisting that XML 1.1 solve the character problem once and for all,
with no further revs to add new stuff, IIRC.)

The problems come with things like #&x0F68; = &TIBETAN_LETTER_A; versus
&#x0F60 = &TIBETAN_LETTER_-A;.  Plus, 13791 names of up to 83 characters each
(U+FBF9 is ARABIC_LIGATURE_UIGHUR_KIRGHIZ_YEH_WITH_HAMZA_ABOVE_WITH_ALEF_
MAKSURA_ISOLATED_FORM) is a lot of space.

--
Said Agatha Christie / To E. Philips Oppenheim  John Cowan
"Who is this Hemingway? / Who is this Proust?   jcowan@reutershealth.com