   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

>It may be aesthetically pleasing on the technical front, but it's a horrid
>solution on the usability front.

I certainly don't find it aesthetically pleasing, but I don't think
that that justifies inventing a whole new mechanism.

As I've said before, in my view the purpose of the WG's statement is
not to dismiss any change out of hand, but to place the onus on the
proponents of a new mechanism to convince the world of the need for
one.  I hope it will weed out the false claims like "HTML and MathML
cannot use Schemas until they provide a way to define character
entities" and we will instead hear ones like "we've tried using
Schemas and DTDs together but find it unusable because ...".

-- Richard