   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

From: "David Carlisle" <davidc@nag.co.uk>

> > And of course for experimentation purposes you could use a different
> > syntax for entity references.
>
> Yes, I've got a lot of files with \gamma in and \frac{..}{...} for that
> matter (which may look like tex but it gets expanded by XSLT, which
> isn't really the language of choice for that, but it does the job)

This might be another use case for embedded notations: that we often
embedded little languages in documents (<html:script>, <html:style>,
@xlink:href, @xslt:value-of,  non-gDate, etc) and that we need to
reinvent something like a cross-between SGML Short-refs, COBOL pictures,
NOTATIONs, but well-formed, for languages inside the basic structure
provided by elements.  The nearest thing to this is Simon's Regular Fragmentations.

(This kind of thing, being uninteresting for Queries, did not make the cut
for XML Schemas.)

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe