   Re: [xml-dev] Character Entities: An XML Core WG View

> What is the reason is it not included?

History:-)

They were in in MathML 1.0 (which used PUA exclusively, but did not
provide a DTD with entity definitions).  At the time of MathML 1.01
(when I got tricked into maintaining these things) it looked like they
wouldn't be included in Unicode and they would always require some
language-spacific markup to encode a font change, so we removed them,
and they are not in MathML 1.01 at all.

By the time we got round to MathML 2, they were in the Unicode 3.1
proposal but as the whole issue of entities and schema etc etc was in
the air we made a conscious decision _not_ to add new (over mathml 1.01)
entity names but to concentrate on getting the mapping for the existing
names in line with the Unicode 3.1 and 3.2 proposals which were by then
nearing final state (but they still changed on us a bit:-)

However in  http://www.w3.org/Math/characters/ I generate entity
files for all of the ISO sets, whether or not they are used in mathml
(for example the textual greek sets GRK1 and GRK2 are also not in MathML
but have mappings on that page).

David