   Re: [xml-dev] is XML complete?

>the WG seems to act like doing a 2.0 is a given.

I don't think it's a given.

The Core WG charter says:

  The WG will also study the advisability of a version 2.0 of the XML
  specification and may undertake the preparation of such a
  specification, if deemed advisable.

(http://www.w3.org/2001/12/xmlbp/xml-core-wg-charter.html#deliverables) [*]

I don't think we've done any serious study on this question yet.

I have heard a vast range of views on what XML 2.0 should be if there
is one, from a unification of XML 1.x + Namespaces + Infoset + no
substantive changes to a completely redesigned language.

[*] Mozilla's "view selection source" function is great for finding
anchors like this.

-- Richard