   RE: [xml-dev] dtds, schemas, xhtml, and multimedia technologies

Title: Message
Given the technologies you intend to use, not much.  I do understand
MSThrallDOM and won't berate you for that.  Business wise, it
makes a lot of sense so you can blow off the short shrifters.  However, you
seem to be in the "empowering" business, so:

1.  DTDs are the easiest of the schema technologies to learn.  Really.
Compared to other candidates, the basics come quickly.   And in
XML, much easier than SGML.   Faster to type too.

2.  Much of the thinking about using validating technologies for
markup originates in DTDs.   Until you understand them, there
will be discussions here and elsewhere that you won't understand.

3.  DTDs are the only validation technology that goes hand in
hand with XML 1.0.  As such, they form a part of what XML 1.0
is.  Until you understand them, you have an incomplete understanding
of XML 1.0.

4.  Many application developers and application languages still use
DTDs.  They are the soul of brevity and for some tricks, still the
only way to get it done.  Even if you don't use them, until you understand
them, you won't be able to work with those that do.  Say someone asks
you to produce a multimedia version of an existing IETM database that
uses MIL-M-87269 or even ATOS data as a source.   Where will you start?
Being On The Web means "interoperating" not just fielding your own work.

You might want to have a basic familiarity with DTDs.   It won't hurt.
Learn about them, and put them in the kit bag next to other seldom used
but nice to have tools.

Technical religions worship merciless divinities.

len

From: Empowering You [mailto:pam@empoweringyou.com]
I'm an ex-HTML and ex-Cold Fusion programmer retraining for the future.  I started learning XML technologies and .NET in January 2002 and skipped learning anything about DTDs in favor of learning about Schemas.  However, in reading the last 3 months of the xml-dev posts I find that you all are referring to DTDs a lot in your posts.  Do I need to go back and learn about DTDs?  When will I need to use DTDs instead of Schemas?