   RE: [xml-dev] Tablet PC ink is XML

Microsoft seemed to be very aware of the tablet PC pressure issue in
their demo yesterday. They showed that the tablet is aware of the pen
when the pen is at least an inch away from the tablet surface.  They
also talked about developing applications where the information is not
hidden by the user's hand.  They talked about a 3 lb tablet getting very
heavy after a while and how the users hand can not click accurately in a
tree view structure due to this.  They showed people taking notes with
their hand resting on the surface.  So my guess would be that the
pressure is only recognized through the pen tip.  The pen pressure also
registers as degrees of pressure so that when anti-aliasing is turned on
you can see the difference between a light and heavy stroke.

Here's more about what I heard yesterday paraphrased from my notes:

The TabletPCs are 2000 dpi, and sample at 200 dpi/second.  (Wow!)
When programming you have to be aware that the user can change between
portrait and landscape mode anytime.
The best resource on the web to use is:
http://www.tabletpcdeveloper.com
Ink is a new datatype that can be saved as ISF (Ink Serialized Format),
GIF, metafile, or text.
Ink has x, y, z coordinates with z being strength of the mark (user
pressure).
There are 14 system gestures (tap, double tap, drag, etc.)
38 application gestures (scratchout/erase, etc.)
You can get better recognition accuracy from using a 'factoid' which
defines the data as a date, number, etc.  So it eliminates the computer
guessing that the figure is a letter when it is supposed to be a number,
for instance.

Object Model Overlay
  Ink Collector
    Ink Overlay
       Ink
          Strokes
             Stroke
               Drawing Attribute
       Renderer
       Tablet
    Recognizers
       Recognizer
          Recognizer Content

There are 3 modes:  ink, gesture, ink and gesture.
Event model exists for stroke, gesture, etc.
Drawing attributes include color, width, transparency, and smoothing.

We saw him convert ink to string in one line of code (using .NET).  I
was impressed when he wrote a person's name and it immediately converted
to a typed name.

Everything needed to program for the Tablet PC is in the Tablet PC SDK.

He said "Version 1 is NOT marked safe for scripting for the Web".  I
think this might mean that you can't use ink in a web based application
because Internet Explorer thinks it's unsafe.

Pam Ammond
Empowering You!

website: http://www.empoweringyou.com
Please check out the "Wow! Look At Windows XP" book I wrote at
http://www.windowsxpbook.com