   Re: [xml-dev] more QName madness

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 06:08:17AM -0800, Paul Prescod wrote:
> I home I'm missing something: if I have ten XPointers in a document and
> they each use 3 namespaces, do I necessarily have 30 xmlns declarations?

  yes, each URI-Reference is supposed to be interpretable as a standalone
object there is no inheritance from the framework (don't kill me for this
I'm not responsible).

> No matter how theoretically impure QNames in data are, the
> 30-declaration scenario is ridiculous from a usability point of view. If

  Well XML for data is also kind of ridiculous, you end up repeating the
same tags and local structures over and over again. But that didn't prevented
it from being extremely successful in that area. For some carrying overweight
as extra redundant context seems to be considered a good thing, for others
it's an heresy, go figure ....

Daniel