   Re: [xml-dev] more QName madness

John Cowan wrote:
> Paul Prescod scripsit:
>

>>I hope I'm missing something: if I have ten XPointers in a document and
>>they each use 3 namespaces, do I necessarily have 30 xmlns declarations?
>

> No, you have 3 uses of the xmlns() scheme in each of your ten XPointers.

Each one "declaring" a namespace. ;)

> The xmlns declarations in the embedding document are irrelevant; after all,

I was asking about declarations using the xmlns scheme.

 > that document need not be XML at all: it could be plain text, HTML,
 > PDF, or hard copy.

IMHO, it is not wise to dumb down XPointer-in-XML to the same level as
XPointer-in-hard copy just to be consistent.

==

I am think that we need a scoped short-form mechanism to replace
entities. The more we put URIs as component identifiers in attribute
values, the more we need short-forms. If there is a growing concensus
(is there?) that QNames are not the way then maybe we need a declaration
mechanism specific to data. Perhaps it could be used both to declare
short-names for URIs and also for character entities.

  Paul Prescod