   XML Design Strategy

Hi All,
    In one of our projects we were using file based data communication
between various systems.Now this is being changed to xml design.Typically
the data is different for few fields and rest of the fields assume same
values.Iam thinking of designing the xml  instance with the fileds that vary
in their content and rest of the data can be pulled from DTD. Also if the
field values change,they can be changed in DTD only.

can anybody comment or suggest a better approach,if any.

Regards,
RaviShanker Tippabhotla