   RE: [xml-dev] dtds, schemas, xhtml, and multimedia technologies

I didn't say that.  Their support gets
it adopted by more companies.  That makes
it a standard in the sense of the word that
makes it useful:  running code.   IOW,
a successful standard.  You are confusing
specifications (what the W3C produces) with
standards. The W3C is not an international standards
organization.  It is a commercial consortium.  It
sanctions specifications for its dues paying members.

Some people think Java is a standard and they
are quite comfortable citing all the newest
dinkum on this list.  Yet Java is a Sun product.
If I were to take Daniel seriously, I'd have
to think that only open source products can
be discussed here.  That would make this a list
of a business minority instead of XML developers.

She has a point.  MS did markup a big service.
That is undeniable.   She is excited and trying
to make a contribution.  Some of you on the other
hand are proving the point about this being a
list of mean, frustrated geeks.

Geeks:  guys who couldn't get laid in high school
and discovered that the web was a place to act like
they did.

len