   Re: [xml-dev] RDF and the new releases

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 10:52:02PM -0800, Ken North wrote:

> As for RDF being unreadable or incomprehensible, Jonathan Borden's
> always said you can do a presentation about RDF using one slide.

Could be. On the other hand, I've seen people--smart developers who have
little trouble grasping, for example, XSLT, struggle to get their heads
around RDF. But I have a hypothesis as to why this is so.

As
    Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> There's a serious divide between the two approaches.  I'm very impressed
> by some of the people who do regularly cross between XML and RDF and
> that they can keep their heads straight as they do so.

Yes, and I think the RDF model is not at all hard to understand:
ignoring the standard terminology, it's all about objects with named
properties. What could be simpler? But the XML syntax seems to obscure
the simplicity of the model. I believe the source of the confusion is
that people expect the structure of an XML-RDF document to reflect the
structure of the underlying graph ... but very often it doesn't.

mgushee@havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)