   Re: [xml-dev] more QName madness

John Cowan wrote:

> Jonathan Borden scripsit:
>
> > Well that is/would be the *benefit* of describing an XPointer scheme by
> > QName/URI. Simon would be able to simply post a description of his
XPointer
> > extensions on his website, and software would be able to follow his
XPointer
> > schemes into XML documents. That would be really cool.
>
> It would be really cool; it's probably well beyond the state of the
> art, unless the "description" were written in Java er sumpn.

Hardly beyond the state of the art. I've suggested in
http://www.rddl.org/fragment-syntax that support for XPointer schemes might
be indicated in a RDDL document (one which might be dereferenced from the
XPointer scheme namespace for example) e.g.

 <rddl:resource
   xlink:arcrole="http://www.rddl.org/fragment-syntax#scheme";
   xlink:href="http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr";
   />

Now it should be straightfoward to add pointers to various language
implementations of XPointer scheme dereferencing mechanisms via something
like:

 <rddl:resource
   xlink:arcrole="http://www.rddl.org/fragment-syntax#scheme";
   xlink:href="http//example.org/custom-scheme-description"
   />
<rddl:resource
   xlink:arcrole="http://www.rddl.org/fragment-syntax#scheme-implementation";
    xlink:role="http://www.rddl.org/natures/software#java";
   xlink:href="http//example.org/custom-scheme.jar"
   />

or whatever, this could be done in a variety of ways.

Jonathan

http://www.jonathanborden-md.com
http://www.erieneurosurgery.com
http://www.openhealth.org