   RE: [xml-dev] RDF for unstructured databases, RDF for axiomatic systems

I generally agree with you - with all due (and considerable) respect to the
academics and visionaries working on Semantic Web ideas, I think we'll be
seeing simple practical benefits of RDF long before formally-grounded
inferencing systems become a standard tool.

My own dabblings suggest to me that RDF can offer good solutions for a lot
of problems where data is largely unstructured, and where some kind of
global disambiguation is needed, such as in widely distributed systems.
Given RDF's heritage, that is really quite a good thing, because the web has
both of these characteristics. It's also notable that in many respects the
human world shares them.

The "metacrap" argument is a complete red herring, because it makes the
assumption that the creation of metadata must involve extra effort on the
part of the system/application users. In most circumstances there is stacks
of metadata on hand, and I don't have far to look for an example. Nearby
there's all the mail header date/time & routing material etc, there's a
thread in the archives. Without any extra effort on my part, there's a sig
with the addresses of my web space and some of the material I'm working on.
Linked to that there is biographical information about me. Your address is
here too, which may or may not be used to get to biographical information
about yourself, but it does describe a communication channel to you through
which more information could be obtained.
Ok, so the mail client I'm using doesn't take advantage of all this, and
that to recall any of this pile of information post-mortem scraping is
needed. This client (Outlook) is smart enough that if I didn't have defenses
then a bit of kiddy code from a third party could make it spam everyone in
my address book. Why shouldn't the client use this information in a
consistent, secure and useful fashion? C'mon mail dude, the spell checker
knows this is in UK English, why don't you?
Hopefully Chandler will.

Regarding Linda and friends, I got very excited when I first came across
Jini and JavaSpaces, but there is little evidence of widespread adoption of
what is undeniably a very nifty system. I guess a lot of the reason is down
to the demands of retooling, which though not insignificant for triplespace
is less of a burden.

Regarding the "RDF tax", one aspect of the analogy that seems to have been
overlooked is that in the real world taxes occasionally go towards
infrastructure, and at the end of the year there can be tax rebates. For
infrastructure, metadata generated for use in one system can be reused in
others. For example, there's a lot of RSS data coming from weblogs. Commonly
the items are descriptions of a web page. Why not use that information to
provide annotation for the page? Ok, to some extent we can already do that
using Google link:to, which will pick up on blogs irrespective of whether
they syndicate or not. But why choose such a sloppy approach when there is a
systematic solution just waiting to be exploited?

In vanilla XML systems like RSS 0.93, whether or not it's archived, all the
useful metadata that could be associated with the syndicated information
effectively gets pulped after publication (unless you want to go scraping
again). With RSS 1.0 the unambiguous metadata with formally defined
semantics allows for systematic cataloguing and/or retrieval. There's your
tax rebate.

Cheers,
Danny.

Danny Ayers