   Re: [xml-dev] XML / HTML Transport size

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:06:45 +0100, Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr> wrote:

> is it because I've been doing research in binary XML for the past few months
> or do these questions seem to occur more frequently than they used to?
> From what I gathered from the recent conferences I've been to it may be a
> result of the boom of web services, but I'm unsure I have sufficient data
> to assert that with certainty.

I have seen the same thing.  Perhaps it's because XML has been driven
so deeply into the infrastructure.  In an XML application, the bandwidth
costs and parsing overhead are generally trivial compared to the other
processing requirements and the benefits that the network effect offers.
In XML infrastructure that does NOTHING BUT move around and parse/serialize
XML, these overheads become significant bottlenecks.  So while "XML is
inefficient" is an antipattern at the application level, it's an increasingly
 obvious truth at the infrastructure level.  Obviously this
doesn't mean that we abandon XML, just that we have to take
compact, easier-to-parse representations of the XML Infoset
more seriously in *internal* pipelines, and perhaps think about
standardizing more efficient alternatives to the XML 1.0 syntax
for high-performance or limited-bandwidth environments.

[Ducking the inevitable flames ... sorry folks, I followed the dogma
as long as I could .... ]