   RE: [xml-dev] XML / HTML Transport size

>We already have several such platform-independent methods, if by that you
>mean that cross-platform compressors and decompressors exist.  A variety of
>small-scale studies have shown that general-purpose compression is
>generally
>as good as, or better than, some scheme that knows it's compressing XML.
>A scheme for compressing a particular XML document type might be useful
>in extreme cases, but is probably not worth standardizing.

fyi: Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) [1] allows for the use of the familiar
gzip compression scheme, achieving worthwhile ratios. The Adobe SVG browser
plugin supports this, and all in all it seems a successful approach.

>The fact is that images, audio, and video, which are already compressed,
>constitute the bulk of the traffic on the Internet today.

Although SVG is a graphics format, it has characteristics that make a .svgz
file a lot more interesting than most compressed image formats, through the
XML data and the ability to include interactive/executable code.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/svg