   Re: [xml-dev] The perils of P18S (was Re: [xml-dev] Why RDF is hard )

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com (Uche Ogbuji) writes:
>> On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 08:39:03 -0500, Simon St.Laurent  wrote:
>> > The W3C (via QNames, URIs uber alles, and now RDDL/RDF) and
>> > various people (Liam Quin, for instance) who seem to suggest on a
>> > regular basis that adding RDF to the core of XML would improve it.
>>
>> This really is the nub of the issue.  Anyone wondering why people
>> involved in the other parts of the W3C (or subject to its whims as
>> part of their day jobs, as is Simon) often have a knee-jerk, testy,
>> even irrational reaction to various aspects of RDF need look no
>> further. Insistence on political correctness -- or P18S,...
>
>"Political correctness" is an extremely content-free term, so let us
>please just ditch it now.  As I see it used, it means "some idea by
>someone I disagree with for some reason they think they're entitled to
>have".  Not terribly useful in intelligent discourse.

In Mike's original usage of it in this context, it did in fact have a
meaning that's pretty plain to anyone who's read xml-uri or www-tag for
a while.

Taken out of that context, I agree with you that the meaning disappears
completely and turns into something generically useless.

That's very much like the objection I have to QNames - that they only
function in a particular context.  The amount of quoting I had to do in
this message to preserve that context is much like the objection I have
to the use of QNames in XPointer - massive extra information for no
particular benefit.

So perhaps Mike's usage was more meaningful than he intended.

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether