   RDF as RDF, RDF as XML, RDF as metadata,RDF as object serialization ....

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:27:07 +0100, Danny Ayers <danny666@virgilio.it> wrote:

> I have yet to see an XML application that couldn't be done without XML,
> so
> that argument isn't particularly strong. The point is that in the same
> way a
> lot of applications are considerably easier to implement using XML, quite
> few applications are considerably easier with RDF, and such practical
> applications are now popping up all over the place.

I hesitate to walk into this fire yet again, but I am genuinely curious:
Many of the examples people use to illustrate the adoption of RDF
seem to be XML formats that happen to be RDF-processable
(dmoz.org and RSS 1.0 come to mind).  Others are clearly RDF
applications that happen to use XML serialization (it looks like most
of the projects on the semantic web page cited recently fall into
that category).

Ideally there would be a synergy -- that's what RDDL is all about anyway,
you can think of it as an XHTML dessert topping or an RDF floor wax. :-)
[old SNL skit?  can't remember where that cliche comes from!]

So, who out there uses RSS 1.0, dmoz.org, or Mozilla mailboxes via the
RDF data model as opposed to a generic XML data model or a custom
object model?  Are there any widely used examples such as RDDL where there
really are two views of the same document, one RDF and one XML/XHTML?

As for Reuters Health, are consumers generally just using the metadata
as XML tags that get processed with SAX, DOM, XSLT, whatever ... or
as RDF triples?  (Probably "both", but how about a guess as to
percentages?)