From: AndrewWatt2000@aol.com [mailto:AndrewWatt2000@aol.com]
Sent: 20 November 2002 21:48
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: [xml-dev] Ode to the Sem-Web

In a message dated 20/11/2002 20:26:33 GMT Standard Time, clbullar@ingr.com writes:

[len] It's been a snippy list of late.  Watching Pam depart after rude handling didn't say too much good for the attitudes here.   I sense list fatigue.  Maybe hairy haiku season is upon us to return us to the sillyness that keeps us able to handle the seriousness.

You want silliness? :)

The following "poetic gem" is said to have been discovered at the base of the piles on which the Tay Bridge was built. Expert assessment including carbon 14 dating shows it conclusively to have been written in McGonagall's lifetime. Proving beyond reasonable doubt that William Topaz McGonagall was a prophet and not merely, at least in his own eyes, a poetic genius. :)

In the fifth verse our bard seems, in Paul Simon's words to have found a bit of "tearing and straining to rhyme". I think our bard would not object too much if something more technically apt were to be identified for insertion there.

Enjoy

Andrew Watt

Ode to the Sem-Web

To begin to make plain, to clearly explain
The meaning of all those semantics
It's hard to sustain, A bit of a pain
And oh! those aches after verbal gymnastics

The Sem-Web is cool, you can say to a fool
It captures the essence of meaning
The fool's eyes light up, Like a credulous pup,
And the gurus go on with self-preening

The Sem-Web is hot, deep intellectual thought
A claim to the grail of all meaning
It's not as straight as we're told, nor is the grail gold
The semantic tower is now leaning

The Sem-Web is bright, Taking thoughts to new height
Expressing a cultural leaning,
American bought with corporate thought
Constraining the whole world's dreaming

The Sem-Web is fraught, with Machiavellian thought
The simplest thing's no longer simple
Make simple things hard, to join dot with dot
From RDF pimple to pimple

The Sem-Web's not here, You'll be glad to hear
And maybe it won't be soon coming
But think how you will, your thought got's to change
In keeping with sem-Web's down dumbing.