   Re: [xml-dev] ANN: Open XPath NG mailing list

> Uchi,
>
> I think you may have meant to write, "Some of us who like XPath 1.0 but do
> not like XPath 2.0 ...".

Eeeek.  Yes.  That's precisely what I meant.  Thanks.  XPath 1.0 rocks.

> Personally, for what little my $0.02 is worth, I think XPath NG would be an
> excellent name IF there is a proposal / specification to name at some future
> date. I am comfortable with XPath NG as a working title for what is being
> considered.
>
> The "NG" has close parallels with RELAX NG. And the XML community is pretty
> clear that that is not supported by or emanating from W3C.
>
> I don't think that "XPath NG", if it ever exists, is likely to cause real
> confusion.

Strongly agreed.  Frankly, I'm very surprised at Mike Kay's objection.
Perhaps it was born of my typo (i.e. suggesting that we'd be ditching XPath
1.0 as well)?

> In passing I would point out that the W3C IPR page at
> http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/ipr-notice-20000612#W3C_Trademarks seems
> to make no claim for any rights over the word/term XPath.
>
> A great many people in the XML community outside W3C make contributions to
> the W3C specifications. If W3C were to take a position that it is sole
> arbiter on all issues relating to such specifications and any technologies
> which might compete with them then the rules of the game have changed for the
> worse.

Thanks for having this look.  Really, I can't imagine the W3C using a
trademark cudgel in such a case as we're proposing.  They rightly didn't go
after us when we created EXSLT, nor did they  go after the JDOM folks.  As far
as I know, the FixPtr group are not in jeopardy, nor is Tim Bray for creating
XML-SW.

Python&XML column: 2. Introducing PyXML - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/09/25/p
y.html
The Past, Present and Future of Web Services 1 - http://www.webservices.org/ind