   OWL for the XML layer

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: OWL for the XML layer
  • From: Lyndon J B Nixon <nixon@fokus.gmd.de>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:03:28 +0100

skimming through the OWL spec, and trying to grasp it -- as it is an
extension of RDF Schema just like DAML+OIL
it can express constraints upon RDF assertions, but what about XML (not
RDF) vocabularies?

i.e. considering TBLs layers for the Web

Ontologies e.g. OWL
Metadata e.g. RDF
Data e.g. XML

Can the ontological layer only be built upon the metadata layer? if so,
how could I state equivalences and other
relationships between XML elements/attributes? Isn't that just as
necessary? Or is this why we're being suggested
to write XML which can map well into RDF? ;)

lyndon

NB One sentence summary: I can assert myrdf:ZipCode owl:samePropertyAs
yourrdf:PostCode
but why can't I also assert  myxml:ZipCode owl:sameDatatypeAs
yourxml:PostCode.