   Re: [xml-dev] General Public License for DTD and Schema

> "Winchel 'Todd' Vincent III" <winchel@mindspring.com> writes:
>
> > A couple weeks back, I mentioned a General Public License that I have
been
> > drafting with the input of a few others specific to DTD and Schema.
> >
> > The GPL has been posted at the following link and I would apprecaite any
> > comments you have on it.
> >
> > http://www.xmllegal.org/Legal/GeneralPublicLicense.htm
>
> Is this an assertion that the GPL is not the only possible GPL a-la
> the XPathNG thread?

I'm using the term GPL generically.  At http://www.opensource.org you will
find a number of licenses that I would put in the GPL category.  None of
those licenses, in my view, specifically address schema (DTD, XML Schema, or
others), but rather software and documentation.  I wrote the license above
with schema in mind.

A GPL is merely a type of a license.  You could dream up as many different
GPLs, with various nuances and policies, as your imagination permits.

I thought it would be interesting to the list given recent discussions.  You
may or may not like the policy that the GPL attempts to implement.  I would
be interesting in hearing comments, if there are any.

Thanks,

Todd

Winchel "Todd" Vincent III
Attorney and Technical Consultant