   What is XHTML 2.0 for?

  • To: Xml-Dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: What is XHTML 2.0 for?
  • From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:52:00 -0800

I understand that Andrew Watt has got some people's backs up with his
questioning but I think that there is a legitimate question among the
rhetoric. (I think he's very misguided about browser development models
and some other issues, but anyhow...)

The question is: what problem with XHTML 1.0 in particular and the Web
in general is XHTML 2.0 supposed to solve? The abstract and introduction
for XHTML 2.0 don't really say.

This charter seems largely fulfilled:

  * http://www.w3.org/2002/05/html/charter#mission

If the HTML working group has done such a good job that there are no
urgent problems to solve then maybe it should take a break until a few
materialize. If there are urgent problems to solve, then they should be
documented in the abstract, introduction and charter (and perhaps a
requirements document!).

A person could both believe that XHTML has a bright and important future
in the Web architecture AND believe that there is no urgent need to
update it today.

  Paul Prescod