   Re: [xml-dev] OWL for the XML layer

Danny Ayers wrote:

>>NB One sentence summary: I can assert myrdf:ZipCode owl:samePropertyAs
>>yourrdf:PostCode
>>but why can't I also assert  myxml:ZipCode owl:sameDatatypeAs
>>yourxml:PostCode.
>>

>You can assert it, but what does it mean?

that the element ZipCode in my XML Schema has the same semantic meaning
as the element PostCode in your XML Schema.
If I understand correctly, OWL only allows this to be done if ZipCode
and PostCode are RDF properties. However
the differentiation that XML/XMLS is purely syntactical and RDF/RDFS
semantic is false; XML vocabulary authors
associate human-understandable meaning to their schemas (most humans
will understand what is meant when an address contains a XML element
called ZipCode or PostCode). But how to extend this semantic meaning to be
machine processable, if the Web ontology languages won't permit it?

lyndon