   Re: [xml-dev] RDBMS DB export

At 10:58 AM 11/22/2002 -0500, Debasis Das wrote:
>Is there a standard DTD defined for RDBMS DB export/import or any effort
>towards something like this ? I am unable to find any, can anybody give
>me a pointer ? TIA

ANSI and ISO are working on SQL/XML, which provides a standard mapping from
tables to W3C XML Schema. Here's a good article on SQL/XML by Jim Melton
and Andrew Eisenberg:

         http://www.acm.org/sigmod/record/issues/0206/standard.pdf

I believe they have added an alternative mapping since this article was
written.

As for DTDs, many people want to represent the data types found in RDBMS
when they map to XML, and DTDs don't provide support for data types.
RELAX-NG combined with the W3C XML Schema data types would work great, but
there's no industry consensus behind that kind of solution.

So if you want a mapping that is industry standard, which database
companies will actually be supporting, I think SQL/XML is what you want.

Jonathan