   RE: [xml-dev] bohemians, gentry

I'm not sure I get that.  You seem to be
suggesting that the issue is as I suggested
to Jonathan, one of creating requirements
by reference.  Yes?

***The struggle here is as it is on the issue
of subsetting:  what features are to be
required of XML processors and which
specification(s) govern that.***

I highly recommend a reading of Paul Grosso's
post to www-tag@w3.org
as titled "XML-* [was: ... XML subsetting...]".

It is always possible for the application language
designer to do as SOAP did and point out
precisely which features of the language an application
should not use.  That changes nothing.   It seems
to me that unless xml datatype support is required
at the XML processor, that changes nothing.  It's impact
via references from other specifications (say XQuery)
is substantial but possibly unavoidable unless that
specification is also profiled. My experience is that
lots of profiles in a family of specifications reduces
interoperability severely.

The critical issue is that an XML 1.0 compliant processor
be able to process XML, not extra-XML specs.   The problem of datatypes
is in expecting that processor to handle non-1.0
features.  Yes?  If one side wants more features
(say, the datatype supporters) and one side wants
a refactoring (the XML-SW supporters), that is
a real technical conflict, not just political.
There are politics here but they seem to be the usual
ones of opposing views about what should be done with
XML Core.

Yes, either path leads to disenfranchisement.  That
is why some want no changes to XML 1.0.  In other
words, can anyone here tell me what the benefits
of refactoring XML 1.0 would be?   And if there is
no notion of supporting datatypes in the XML processor,
what problem there is?

If there is confusion about what to do, do nothing.

len

From: Jeff Lowery [mailto:jlowery@scenicsoft.com]

There are times when the personal interests of those who hold the reins of
power conflict with the interest of those subordinate.  There is a power
stuggle here, although I'm starting to think it's not between data-heads and
doc-heads, nor between pedants and free-thinkers. I think it's fundamentally
and issue of representation and perceived disenfranchisement of the
majority.