   Re: [xml-dev] bohemians, gentry

> Ah, yes. Because arbitrary precision decimals are wide spread and interoperable across multiple platforms and programming languages.

I, too was amazed to encounter such an idea.  I have never even seen a scheme
for "arbitrary precision" decimals that is portable on the same platform and
language, but in different usage scenarios.  Over in the Python world, Guido
van Rossum has long been giving the chicken eye to all the cockamamie schemes
for numerical representational wizardry that people insist on cooking up.  I
imagine he would just break into tears at the "portable" numeric WXS data
types.

> I remember reading somewhere that W3C XML Schema just added a third layer of impedence mismatch to the mix. In the old days we had objects --> database impedence mismatches which cultivated the rise of object oriented databases. Now we have XSD ->objects-> database as the new impedence mismatch. Quite frankly, I'm beginning to be of the opinion that the primacy of xs:integer and xs:decimal types in most schemas is a mistake given that we have xs:float, xs:double and xs:int which are guaranteed to interoperate while the former are not.

Tour of 4Suite - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/10/16/py-xml.html
Proper XML Output in Python - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/11/13/py-xml.html
RSS for Python - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-p
yth11.html