   Re: [xml-dev] overrun with bohemians?

Miles Sabin wrote:
> Au contraire ... with programming languages typing should _always_ be
> enforced and _always_ be necessary. If that causes you grief, then
> you're probably using the wrong language.

Pointers welcome :)

> But this doesn't carry over to markup ... despite what I've seen on
> numerous CVs, neither HTML nor XML are programming languages. And, IMO,
> implying that the XML community should learn lessons from the typeless
> programming language community is just as dangerous as, and opens the
> door to, those who'd argue that the XML community should learn lessons
> from the typed programming language community.

I never implied that XML was a programming language, oh no. I do however believe
that there are reasons why those communities exist, and I am concerned about
direct transposition of those frictions to the still relatively peaceful world
of XML. I'm not against typing, I'm against enforcement.

> We should draw a line in the sand right here ... programming languages
> are about types and semantics, markup is about lexical structure and
> syntax, and never the twain shall meet (without a chaperone).

My point exactly, within the context of my answer to Simon. On xml-dev, people
from either side of the typing debate know enough to draw that line. Outside
xml-dev, people tend to interpret XML using direct transpositions from other
sectors, often from programming. In other words, I'm not surprised that xml-dev
is composed either of bohemians or of bohemian-friendly gentry, but I doubt it's
representative.

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway