   RE: [xml-dev] bohemians, gentry

> / Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net> was heard to say:
> | Is there a conformance level of either XQuery or XPath that
> allows one
> | to avoid the implementation of XML Schema datatypes altogether?
>
> I think that's still the subject of discussion within the WGs.

I think the status quo (and the most likely final outcome) is that the
built-in types of XML Schema have to be supported, but user-defined
types, and type-annotations on nodes, do not. In other words, processors
must be able to cast strings to dates and numbers, and implement
operations defined on those dates or numbers, but they don't have to
support a schema processor that marks the contents of an element or
attribute as a date or a number or a hat-size.

Michael Kay