   RE: [xml-dev] XPath: what's the answre to True >= False

> When trying to create another XPath implementation I stumbled
> upon the
> somewhat complex conversion in paragraph 3.5: Booleans. To compare a
> boolean and a node-set, both are converted to Booleans. For all
> operators, including >= and <=. Can anyone tell me what:
>
>     True >= False
>     False >= True

Section 3.4 says "When neither object to be compared is a node-set and
the operator is <=, <, >= or >, then the objects are compared by
converting both operands to numbers and comparing the numbers according
to IEEE 754.

False <= True, because number(false()) = 0 and number(true()) = 1.

Suggestions as to how XPath 1.0 could have been improved are somewhat
academic at this point...

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com