   Re: [xml-dev] Typing and paranoia

Robin Berjon wrote:
> Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>
>> There is no guarantee that the binary formats exported by one process
>> make sense ton the next, even on the same architecture. I'm confident
>> I can make sense out of XML on both ends. I'm not so sure about binary
>> formats.
>

> I've passed gzip'd data around boxes of different architectures, and I
> tend to be pretty confident I can make sense of it on both sides.
> There's no reason a well defined binary infoset couldn't make anyone
> confident.

Yet somehow we haven't managed to do that yet. All the stuff that
interoperates is textual.

I wonder if the problem is not so much binary v XML, but the that
XML trees are awkward enough datastructures to stream efficiently
and require too much buffering. Even if you can pass it around
binary Infosets, processors still have the root ndoe/element item to
contend with. Perhaps the problem goes away when we stop insisting
on sending large single XML documents around instead of a few
smaller ones. There's a lot to be said for the packet and MIME
worldviews.

Bill de hÓra
--
Propylon