   Re: [xml-dev] bohemians, gentry

Michael Kay wrote:

> As it happens we are currently doing work to see if we can pin down the
> processing pipeline from an XML source document to a Document object
> rather more precisely, while still retaining user freedom to construct a
> Document object from thin air. It's not easy because I think users need
> control over this process. I would personally prefer to see it handled
> by a separate W3C spec for processing pipelines.

I suggest that it is uniquely the privilege and the responsibility of the
individual 'user' to determine the components of, and the order of
processing in a pipeline on each occasion. This is precisely where the
expertise of each individual processor is expressed and where its particular
value is added. To 'pin down' the pipeline from document to document object
(even assuming that a document object is a useful or sensible thing to
instantiate at a given processing node) is, if it succeeds, to dumb down the
expertise of each individual user or processor of that document to some
standardized low common denominator. Since the lesson from this xml-dev
thread and its siblings is clearly that document objects are not
interoperable, and that only AngleBracketedUnicodeText is, why would we want
to construct standardized document objects at sender and receiver nodes,
when standardizing those objects on some dumbed down common denominator
won't help them to interoperate anyway?

Respectfully,

Walter Perry