   Re: [xml-dev] Typing and paranoia

On Fri,  6 Dec 2002 09:32:49 -0500, Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
 wrote:

> That's a lot of why I'm talking less and less about XML and more and
> more about markup.

Yup.  Well, I don't blame you ... and I hear similar frustrations from the
"data" side about the constraints that XML syntax handling imposes. The
"data" and "sevices" people with their infosets and datatypes and
requirements for  millisecond-timeframe XML instance processing certainly
create challenges.   On balance, I would prefer to preserve and refine what
is common in the center so that APIs, schema languages, query languages,
etc. can be shared across both communities.  But I certainly respect the
hypothesis that the path of least resistance is for the communities to
fork.

That may well be what's going to happen, for a lot of reasons --  nobody
can get passionate about muddy  compromises, so the center often does not
hold.