   Re: [xml-dev] Typing and paranoia

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 11:33, Alaric B. Snell wrote:
> On Friday 06 December 2002 16:08, Frank wrote:
> > On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 10:21, Alaric B. Snell wrote:

> > > 1) The international telephone network

> The software is far more complex than the hardware! And the point I was
> aiming at is that there are protocols and data formats involved; from the
> lowly framing on an E1 or T1 link up to the signalling codes used to
> handshake calls between countries and so on. Not to forget mobile phones,
> which can roam between countries using some kind of call redirection
> trickery.

I'm sure it's software now. On my watch it was finite state machines in
programmable logic arrays. I saw diode matrices, and the oldest timers
remembered muxing with rotating commutators.

> The first widely used GIF spec is known as GIF87 after the year 1987,
> presumably when it was released...

Ahh, but what if you got a GIF93 instead of the GIF87a that did indeed
work. I repeat, in 1998 I needed three image viewers to be able to open
9 of 10 images.

> > Where I lived it was with great pain and agony, and the APIs and
> > Toolkits that Tim spoke of.
>
> Then move :-)

Look, In the message I first answered you specifically talked about the
toolkits that would do the magic data-in, data-out tunnel. It's needing
to buy the freakin' toolkit in the first place and pay for tech support
because TFM doesn't cover it all that's the part being objected to, and
it's what you said to do.

Frank