   Re: [xml-dev] The privilege of XML parsing - Data types, binary XML and

Hi Roger,

 >I am not clear on what you are saying.  Consider this:

 ><aircraft>
 >    <elevation>12000</elevation>
 ></aircraft>

 >Suppose that I create a schema for the aircraft and elevation elements.
 > declare that the elevation element should hold an integer that is
 >restricted to a range of 0 - 20000.  Thus, the schema is defining a
 >"data model".  Are you saying that such a data model is bad, that there
 >should be no such model and it should be up to applications to interpret
 >the data?  Thus, one application may interpret 12000 as an integer,
 >another may interpret it as a string, another may interpret it as still
 >something else?

 >Isn't a data model a contract between the sender and the receiver?  If
 >we have agreed to this contract then we can effectively communicate,
 >right?

In my experience:

1. the amount of useful contract stuff that you can
enshrine in any declarative syntax is a lot less that many people
think.

2. The amount of concrete shared datatypes that can be enshrined
without getting into platform/application specific datatypes is
low.

Having said that, I am not averse to data types. I'm averse to them
being in the core where they infect everyone whether your like
it or not. I'm advocating the use of a pipelined parsing paradigm
in which datatype ornamentation of the tree is cleanly separated
from the tree itself.

regards,
Sean

http://seanmcgrath.blogspot.com