   Re: [xml-dev] ANN: XML Schema of measurement units

  • To: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] ANN: XML Schema of measurement units
  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:04:45 -0500
  • Cc: "Costello,Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>

At 3:49 PM -0400 8/21/02, Roger L. Costello wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>
>I have created an XML Schema[1] containing simpleType definitions that
>enumerate the units for:
>
>    - temperature
>    - length
>    - weight
>    - volume
>    - area
>    - cooking
>    - speed

I think this confuses the units for mass and weight. For example, if
I recall my high school physics correctly, kilogram is a unit of mass
while pound is a unit of weight. If you fly to the moon your mass in
kilograms stays the same but your weight decreases. In the metric
system I think weight would be measured in dynes or newtons while in
the English system mass would be measured in slugs.

Of course in day-to-day usage among non-scientists on planet Earth,
weight and mass are used interchangeably. Thus I wonder whether it's
even possible to come up with a canonical list of all possible units,
when not everyone agrees all the time what the untis are measuring.