   RE: [xml-dev] Schema: defining occurences in choices?

  • To: "Jeni Tennison" <jeni@jenitennison.com>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Schema: defining occurences in choices?
  • From: "Emmerich, Martin" <Martin.Emmerich@oew.de>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:54:23 +0100
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

Hi Jeni,

you write

> I'm not sure which thing you want to affect the occurrence of -- is it
> the <content> elements?

I'm sorry that my description was not clear enough. When re-reading it even I can see it :-).
The problem is more complicated.

I want to have a sequence of several

<testentry>
  <name>value</name>
  <content>
    <subcontent1>
       <subchoice1a/>
    </subcontent1>
    <subcontent1>
       <subchoice1b/>
    </subcontent1>
    <subcontent2/>
  </content>
</testentry>

"testentry" should be a restriction by choice of a certain type testType.
Based on the value in "name" (its vocabulary will be fixed, for example 10 different values), the restrictions on content should vary.
"content" is a sequence of subcontent elements, some repetitive, some not.
subcontent1 contains a subchoice itself.

What I need are several rules like:
name = "value1" --> there must be a "subcontent1" with "subchoice1a", annother "subcontent1" with "subchoice1b" can occur and "subcontent2" can occur.

I understand your mail that that is not possible to specify such constraints in plain schema. Am I correct?
Do I always need an external rule engine like Schematron or Relax NG for that?

Best regards,
Martin Emmerich
Leitung IT

Oestreicher + Wagner