   Re: [xml-dev] Internal entities removed from XML?

Rich Salz wrote,
> > Well, assuming SAX-style parsing that is: just deliver entity
> > expansions as a separate characters() callback ... no copies or
> > writes needed at all.
>
> The intent was to show in-place expansion can be way efficient.

Except that it doesn't show that, because every entity expansion
involves copying the following text forward. I'd be astonished if that
wins compared with delivering expansions SAX-style. I'd even be
surprised if it wins against non-in-place expansion to a separate
buffer (assuming the copy was optimized away for the no entity refs
case).

Cheers,

Miles