   RE: [xml-dev] NameSpaces; how to you determine there value

> Can someone point me to a resource that describes the
> rationale for determining what value to use as a namespace.

I think the best rule is "one naming authority => one namespace".

There are circumstances where you might want one naming authority to
specify multiple namespaces, for example if there is a prospect that the
domains will at some time in the future be handled by different naming
authorities, or if there are good reasons for wanting to allow overlap
between two different vocabularies.

Using hundreds of namespaces, e.g. one for each table in a database, is
probably a bad idea.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com