   Re: [xml-dev] IBM's idea off an XML expert

At 2003-01-03 20:06 +0100, Gerben Rampaart wrote:
>A search on Google points out that the biggest certification available
>at this moment for XML is the one from IBM, (more information here:
>http://www-1.ibm.com/certify/certs/adcdxmlrt.shtml). Though I am curious
>... what do the XML experts on the XML-Dev list think of this
>certification?

I saw some of the sample questions and many of them were too subjective for
my tastes for an example on technical knowledge ... some of the answers
expected were not based on technical accuracy but on very subjective terms
that sounded as if they came from magazine articles and not W3C
specifications.

In the early days some of the answers were just plain wrong.

>Do some of you have it?

Once I saw the questions being asked, I never bothered.

>What is the level?

I don't know what you mean by this.

>Is it worth
>the effort

I don't think so ... but then I'm not looking for an expert myself, so I
don't know if a recruiter would value such certification.  I would think
one's accomplishments would speak more to expertise than the answers to
someone else's questions.

>and does it actually show that you are an XML expert?

I think it shows you've read XML magazines.

I'm not saying one has to be an implementer of XML tools to be an expert,
but certainly one should be a practitioner of those tools in solving
real-world problems.

>Are the correct questions asked?

At the time, I didn't think so ... it was years ago when it was getting
started so this could have changed.

>And why doesn't a company like Microsoft have a
>XML certification (regarding their new .NET strategy and all)...

Who ever knows what Microsoft's strategies are until they are willing to
tell us?

I would also be curious who on this list values certification.

I remember my father successfully obtained his ICCP certification from the
"Institute for the Certification of Computer Programmers" and was a
certified computer programmer ... he is so talented he was only one of less
than 5% of that year's group who passed the exam, as 95% of the group
didn't even get a passing grade.  He's been a programming practitioner
since 1961 (still is!) and made a great reputation for himself in his niche
(mainframe banking systems in the Toronto area) and I've always been very
proud of his programming accomplishments.  I've met XML'ers from Toronto at
XML conferences who either know him or his work.

I think that certificate and 50 cents would buy him a cup of coffee.  I
don't think any recruiter or customer (he was freelance) respected any
value in the certificate.

...................... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO:
-                             North America:  Feb 3 - Feb 7,2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-10-1              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/bc